Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Monday, April 5, 2010
So, I finished my first serious crochet project - a scarf. I love the way it looks, and it was so simple. I just did the entire thing in treble crochet from beginning to end. It's made with Malabrigo's Silky Merino in the colour "Redwood Bark", and it is so very soft!
What surprised me the most about this project was just how quick it was. I started making this scarf with a knit pattern that gave a similar texture, and it seemed to be taking me forever. So long, that I forgot how to do the pattern, and couldn't get it back again. I wasn't even half-finished at this point. So I tore the whole thing up and started crocheting. I brought the yarn and my hook with me on a flight to Maui, thinking the one ball of yarn would get me through both flights there and back. To my surprise, I ran out of yarn halfway through the flight there! I was antsy for the rest of the flight there, but at least I had company on the return flight.
The one thing that did happen during this project was that I discovered the importance of gauge. The beginning of the scarf is 2" wider than the end. Partly because I somehow lost 4 stitches along the length of the scarf, but partly because of how much I tightened up my gauge as I went. If I were making a shirt, it would have gone up 2-3 sizes, just from changing my gauge.
I think I need to practice crochet before I make anything fitted...