Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I made a bra-extender from an old bra!


OK, so the end result is none too pretty, but it was a really quick project and works extremely well. I just cut the attachment part off an old bra, and sewed it onto a double-layer of material from an old T-shirt. Everything is sewn with a zig-zag to finish the edges.

I made sure that the piece of material I was using as a base was as wide as the bra-strap I wanted it to fit, and as long as the two ends I cut off the old bra, then just fit each piece into its respective corner, and voila!

The whole reason I made this was for a lovely halter dress I am making to wear to a wedding. Unfortunately, my only strapless bra (trust me, I can't go without) is just a little too tight, making the dress way too loose in the top. It's much better now that the bra is fitting right.

Funny thing, after I finished this, I was in a really good mood and wanted to finish the dress (all I have left is the hem), but I couldn't for the life of me find the thread to match it. My boyfriend and I tore the entire apartment apart looking for it. Eventually I just gave up, not wanting to sew anymore. I went to put the cover on the sewing machine, and noticed a trail of green thread coming out of it. It turns out the spool of thread was stuck in the sewing machine cover!! I couldn't stop laughing for a while after that one...

2 comments:

  1. I just used a rubber band to make a bra extender! I bought the prettiest purple bra in a size a TAD too small, (I still have 20 lbs to lose before it fits, lol), so I took a rubber band, wove it thru the two eyelets and put each end on each hook. !Voila! It even STRETCHES! Ok, so I had to put a piece of Toilet paper underneath the hook part because now it's now protected by the bra fabric, but who cares! :) Trying to find 40B's that are padded is almost impossible! (Hey, I used to be a 42B--that was even worse!) 30 lbs lost, 20 more to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a brilliant idea. Bra extenders would really let you wear your favourite bra even if you gain weights. Thanks anyway for sharing this idea.
    BraEssentials.com

    ReplyDelete