Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I made a bra-extender from an old bra!


OK, so the end result is none too pretty, but it was a really quick project and works extremely well. I just cut the attachment part off an old bra, and sewed it onto a double-layer of material from an old T-shirt. Everything is sewn with a zig-zag to finish the edges.

I made sure that the piece of material I was using as a base was as wide as the bra-strap I wanted it to fit, and as long as the two ends I cut off the old bra, then just fit each piece into its respective corner, and voila!

The whole reason I made this was for a lovely halter dress I am making to wear to a wedding. Unfortunately, my only strapless bra (trust me, I can't go without) is just a little too tight, making the dress way too loose in the top. It's much better now that the bra is fitting right.

Funny thing, after I finished this, I was in a really good mood and wanted to finish the dress (all I have left is the hem), but I couldn't for the life of me find the thread to match it. My boyfriend and I tore the entire apartment apart looking for it. Eventually I just gave up, not wanting to sew anymore. I went to put the cover on the sewing machine, and noticed a trail of green thread coming out of it. It turns out the spool of thread was stuck in the sewing machine cover!! I couldn't stop laughing for a while after that one...

3 comments:

  1. I just used a rubber band to make a bra extender! I bought the prettiest purple bra in a size a TAD too small, (I still have 20 lbs to lose before it fits, lol), so I took a rubber band, wove it thru the two eyelets and put each end on each hook. !Voila! It even STRETCHES! Ok, so I had to put a piece of Toilet paper underneath the hook part because now it's now protected by the bra fabric, but who cares! :) Trying to find 40B's that are padded is almost impossible! (Hey, I used to be a 42B--that was even worse!) 30 lbs lost, 20 more to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a brilliant idea. Bra extenders would really let you wear your favourite bra even if you gain weights. Thanks anyway for sharing this idea.
    BraEssentials.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. kurzwaren We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work.

    ReplyDelete