Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dyeing wool - I wish

I have always wanted to dye my own yarn, but I have a really small kitchen. I can't really afford the space to have special pots to use with all the chemicals, etc. A lot of chemicals can be really toxic, and I don't want them anywhere near my food.

Then I found this Knitty tutorial on how to dye yarn with food colouring, and I couldn't wait to try it! I especially love the cold pour method described. I later discovered tutorials on dyeing yarn with Kool-Aid, a similar method, as described here.

My room here in Iqaluit has a big kitchen, and I would have LOVED to be able to do some yarn dyeing while up here - keep me busy in the evening. This would have been the greatest opportunity.



The only problem is that I can't get wool yarn in Iqaluit. To be honest, I was surprised they sold yarn at all - but it's all acrylic, and can't be dyed at all.

The best thing to get would be some yarn made from the undercoat of the muskox, or Qiviut. It is super soft and fluffy, and it would be nice to get something from the north, but apparently it is extremely expensive. Actually, it's supposedly the most expensive fiber in the world, and probably hard to find here since there are no muskox on Baffin Island. It's usually collected off the land since the animals shed it year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment