Thursday, August 19, 2010

Swapping Postcards

A while ago, a friend of mine introduced me to Swap-bot. It's a fun little website where you can host swaps to send items to randomly chosen partners through snail mail.

I joined in the hopes of finding another outlet for my creativity - I wanted to use up supplies I had around the house in things I would never have done for myself, and also I wanted to try new crafts. However, I almost immediately went to work on Baffin Island for the summer where I have no access to my crafting supplies (or, for that matter, a post office).

A couple of weeks ago I started working out of Iqaluit, the largest community on the island - a government town of roughly 5,000 people. And, of course, it has a post office.

Since I'm still away from my crafting supplies, I have really gotten into an easy and common swap: the postcard. I think the idea of sending people postcards from a rarely visited part of the world really appeals to me - some people collect them, and I think it would be a really fun addition.


I've actually learned a lot in the process about Baffin Island. One of the most interesting things is the existence of Mt. Asgard, where the base jumping scene from the beginning of James Bond's "The Spy Who Loved Me" was filmed(You can watch the video here). It's supposed to take place in the Alps. I love that they couldn't find anywhere in the alps as spectacular as what they found in the middle of Baffin Island.

I also love how cheesy that James Bond video is...

No comments:

Post a Comment