Sunday, August 22, 2010

Postcard Making!


So, I have been signing up for A LOT of postcard swaps with Swap-Bot lately. Too many. I look forward to my lunch break every day so that I can go to the post office and send out my latest batch of postcards. I can only imagine the pile of postcards my boyfriend has to deal with arriving at my apartment...

And the fellow at the post office isn't helping. He keeps talking about what a soft spot he has for postcards, and how he would like to receive more of them. Maybe I should somehow find out his address and send him some on my next vacation...

Anyhow, I received the names for my latest swap and looked up their profiles to see if they have any specific postcards they prefer. One of my latest partners collects map postcards from the Canadian provinces and territories, and has Nunavut on her list of territories she is missing. Since Iqaluit is the largest community in Nunavut with roughly 6,000 people, I figure I am the best chance she has of getting such a postcard from Nunavut.

There's only one problem - I have been all over Iqaluit, and spoken to people all over town - some who have lived here for 24 years - and they don't sell such a postcard in Nunavut. So now I am late for my swap, and they don't sell the postcard I need ANYWHERE.

So I decided to make one. I realized I have map-making software on my laptop here, and all this Nunavut data. So I made a postcard-sized map image of Nunavut that I'm going to glue to a 25cent store-bought postcard. I added a Nunavut flag image I found on the internet, and some images I shot of plants up here, and I think it turned out pretty well. The only downside is that we have cheap paper, so the printout will look a little crappy. I hope she likes it!

Also, on a completely separate note, I love this dress from Shabby Apple and want to make my own version of it.

1 comment:

  1. where did you get the map postcard of nunavut. i am trying to find one to purchase like this one.
    mike at bugaboo5404@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete