Friday, September 24, 2010

I Need New Clothes - BAD!

One thing I like about working in the field is that you can stop caring what you look like. It really doesn't matter - nice clothes will just get destroyed anyhow, your hair is always a mess, and you wind up with bruises and scrapes all over your body. You even shower less for lack of water. Someone has to fill the water tanks, so it just seems cruel to shower as long and as often as you do at home - so you stay dirty.

This is a huge contrast to the work I do when I'm at home. I work in the office 5 days a week. I need to look presentable since the president of the company is two offices down, and investors can show up at any time. It makes things interesting when loads of samples come into the office and you have to do physical labour while in a pencil skirt, tights, and heels...

I tend to forget about my office clothes while in the field. I forget about my going-out clothes as well, so I come back at the end of the summer with fresh eyes on my wardrobe.

This year, upon returning home, I have realized that I pretty much need an entire new wardrobe. This has likely been partly caused by the fact that I have been watching a lot of Project Runway lately, and am realizing just how ridiculous most of my clothes are.

I haven't been shopping in ages, and sort of lost my connection with my sewing machine for a while. I bought a huge office-worthy wardrobe when I started this job, but that was over two years ago. Some things have warped and don't fit me anymore, while the ones I loved are just getting too old and ragged to wear.

And my casual clothes, I have had for far too long. I realize now that they are mostly for someone about 5 years younger than I am. Most of my shirts are T-shirts with Roller Derby logos on them, and I just don't feel like I can pull that kind of look off anymore...

The fun part is that I get to reinvent myself, but I hate shopping for clothes. So, I have to do a lot of sewing in the next little while... Whee! It's going to be interesting trying to make a cohesive wardrobe - I have always made individual pieces without thinking about how they fit in with the rest of my clothes, but I'm going to try and make it all fit together somehow. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment