Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Styrofoam Shoes?

Lately, I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head of making my own shoes. Oh, who am I kidding - I've been wanting to do it for a LONG time, but can't quite picture how I'm going to pull it off, and thus can't totally get motivated.

I'd like to start just with a pair of ballet slippers. There are tutorials online, but I think I'll just make it up as I go along...? I love ballet slippers because it's simple to make a prototype (in theory, not that I've done it yet), and you can embellish them all you want - buttons, bows, piping - the sky's the limit!


This post from the Etsy handmade blog got my creative juices flowing. It's more of a case of "re-fashioning" shoes than making shoes, but the comment at the end of the post about the possibility of using yoga mats instead of old flip-flop soles made me wonder: what else can you use?

Of course, I've been in the North, with not much time and none of my normal resources for crafting, but I've been staring at the things around me, wondering what I could do with them once I get back and it hit me - styrofoam containers.


They're not recyclable, but often come with our every day purchases. I think making them into the soles of shoes would be a great way to re-use them. And I won't feel bad if I waste a few in the process :)

But, how to attach them to things and turn them into shoes? I have been dying for an excuse to use the amazing This to That site. You simply input two things you want to glue together, and it will tell what you need to do it! Genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment