Monday, September 13, 2010

Independent Video Games!!

One of the fun things about PAX is being introduced to new games. Not only the big-name blockbuster hits, but the small independent games. Indie games are often made on low budgets with small teams, and so to make it big, they really have to rely on the design of the underlying game play.

Most of these games can be played right on your browser, many of them for free. I came away from the convention with a list of games I was dying to play; I think I was the only one there making my list with an old-fashioned pen-and-paper (instead of a smart phone...). Here are my picks:

-Windosill: A lovely atmosperic point-and-click adventure. I really enjoyed playing this one. You can play through about half the game for free (which isn't very long), and for only 3$ you can get a code to play through the second half, which is just as interesting. The worlds you are in are totally crazy and completely interactive.

-Today I Die: This is a truly unique game. It's an interactive poem that you can play through entirely for free in your browser. Changing the words of the poem change the words of the poem changes the world you play in - trying to make a sad, depressing statement into a happy and uplifting one. A fun, quick little play.

-Machinarium: Machinarium is an amazing little point-and-click interactive about a adorable little robot on an adventure to find his girlfriend. The artwork is beautiful, and the puzzles are super cute. I only had the chance to play through the first 3 or 4 demo worlds, but I loved it. If it weren't for lack of time I would have played the whole thing.

-Elude: Elude is a very quick play game designed to emulate the difference between a happy mood, and a state of depression. The idea is there, and the game is cute, but I don't think it fully succeeds in dragging you into the emotions it sets out to capture. Nonetheless, it is interesting and innovative.

The rest of the games on this list, I have yet to play. I will post reviews when I do!

-Solace
-Devil's Tuning Fork
-Puzzle Bots
-AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
-Boryokudan Rue
-Bastion
-Fowl Space
-Plane Weaver
-Small Worlds
-Avernum 6
-The Journey Down
-Desktop Dungeons

No comments:

Post a Comment